DoPeace

Empowering civic activism toward a culture of peace.

Dear Peace Builder,

Heart of Florida Peace Alliance is excited to announce that you may now register for the 2nd Annual Central Florida Peace Conference: "Peace: Dreams, Myths, and Social Change," January 29 - 31, 2010. The event is coming up in about 2 weeks in Lake Wales, Florida. Please consider attending!

The main presenter for the conference is the Reverend Dr. Jeremy Taylor, world renowned author and speaker. Dr Taylor has developed a process of dream-work, toward helping people to understand themselves and reduce their tendencies of projection - tendencies which stand squarely in the way of peace-buiding.

The conference will also include campaign updates, ways to optimize our peace-building work, and other sharing from Heart Phoenix - Peace Alliance Board Member, and Dan Kahn and Becky Pujals-Jones - Florida State Peace Alliance Coordinators.

The weekend conference will run all day on Saturday - from 9am to 9 pm (with a catered lunch, and a break for dinner), then on Sunday from 10 am till noon (coffee will be served).

The cost of the weekend workshop is on a sliding scale basis - from $100 to $135, and as a special offer if two people register together their combined cost is $150.

To register for the conference please contact Shirley Curtis-Ference, Co-founder
of the "Heart of Florida Peace Alliance"

863.949.4048, or scurtisference@gmail.com

Here following are some words from Shirley Curtis-ference, followed by some directly from Jeremy Taylor, about peace, activism, our experience, and our vision.

Dear 2010 Central Florida Peace Conference Participants,

Jeremy Taylor understands “the crucial role of the unconscious in the quest for peace, and the relationship of exploring dreams to finding creative, effective solutions to the problems of world war and conflict.”

To help all peace builders fully appreciate the depth and breadth of Jeremy’s commitment to peace and his wisdom in helping humanity attain it, I share the following email he wrote when asked to facilitate “Peace: Dreams, Myths, and Social Change.”

We invite you to share the weekend of January 29 – 31, 2010, in Lake Wales, Florida, with like-minded peace builders and with Jeremy Taylor.

Sincerely,
Shirley Curtis-Ference
Co-founder, Heart of Florida Peace Alliance
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Jeremy Taylor's own words:

March 10, 2009
Dear Shirley,

I have been a committed pacifist community organizer and activist all of my life. My particular perspective on the profound issues of peace and reconciliation that face us today is that they are all primarily the consequence of ignoring our unconscious makeup.

This is not a new situation. As a species, we have blundered forward, resorting to violence and collective self-destructive activity throughout our history, primarily through the unconscious process of”projection“, i.e. seeing unacceptable aspects of our own interior being as the exclusive property of others, and treating them as”not human“as a result.

Having denied various”shadow“aspects of our own deep shared common humanity, it is inevitable, (because it is “automatic” - an unconscious reaction that is not subject to conscious choice or reflection), that we will in turn deny the humanity of others - particularly as they have the ”bad taste“ to remind us of the parts of ourselves that we have repressed and denied.

My 40+ years of work as a pacifist organizer and community builder convince me that any “plan of salvation”—including all efforts to promote world peace and overcome the deep seated ”irrational“ prejudices that inevitably lead to intra- and inter- communal conflict—that ignores the unconscious is, alas, doomed to failure.

Sincerity, compassion, and good will although necessary elements in peace making, by themselves are not sufficient to accomplish the task. They must be augmented by, and founded upon a more conscious understanding and appreciation of the nature and workings of unconscious life.

As Carl Jung said throughout his life, “The problem with the unconscious is that it really IS unconscious!”

By far the best way to become more consciously aware of the universal process of projection in ourselves and others is to begin to pay more regular and conscious attention to the dreams we remember from sleep. As so many intellectual spiritual leaders from all over the world have said so often,”Dreams are the royal road to deeper understanding of the unconscious.“
The most engaging and effective means that I have discovered to promote greater understanding and recognition of the unconscious processes of projection, (and thus to prepare people to more effective agents of peaceful change), is to develop a simple and easily trainable technique of dream exploration called ”group projective dream work,” (and in some situations,”archetypal projective dream exploration“).

Focus on the shared exploration of dreams has the incomparable advantage of being universal and immediately available to all people; all people dream, and the language of dreams is in fact universal. I am not asking anyone to take my word for this. My decades of experience have demonstrated that this is so, but my knowing that it's true on the basis of my experience and other people’s knowing it's true on the basis of their experience are two different things. It is the actual work with each other's dreams that proves the point, and regularly changes hearts and minds in the process.

In fact, all human beings are inherently predisposed to symbolize our experience with the same essential ”archetypal“ analogies and metaphors.

The language of dreams is universal, and all people are unconsciously familiar with these symbols, whether they are consciously aware of it or not. Group projective dream work allows people to become more conscious of these universal meanings and implications of our dream memories, and in the process to become more aware of the ubiquitous process of unconscious projection, and to begin to behave in a more responsible and creative fashion as a result of this burgeoning awareness.

I have written numerous articles and four books about this process, and the application of “dream wisdom” to the immediate and concrete problems of our beautiful and violently struggling world. Many of them are still in print, and I have a new book appearing this fall. All of these books have at least one full section devoted to dream work and building peace.

These books are:
(1) Dream Work - Techniques for Discovering the Creative Power in Dreams, Paulist Press, Mahwah NJ, 1983, ISBN 0-8091-2525-0
(2) Where People Fly and Water Runs Up Hill, Using Dreams to Tap the Wisdom of the Unconscious, Warner Books, New York, 1992, ISBN 0-466-39462-9
(3) The Living Labyrinth, Exploring Universal Themes in Myths, Dreams, and the Symbolism of Waking Life, Paulist Press, Mahwah NJ, 1998, ISBN 0-8091-3766-6
and (4) TO BE RELEASED IN THE FALL - The Wisdom of Your Dreams - Using Dreams to Tap into Your Unconscious and Transform Your Life, Jeremy Tarcher/Penguin USA, 2009, (ISBN yet to be assigned).

I hope that this brief outline is sufficiently clear about the crucial role of the unconscious in the quest for peace, and the relationship of exploring dreams to finding creative, effective solutions to the problems of world war and conflict.

I am very interested in offering this perspective and this particular technique to the participants in the Peace Training Event.

Most Sincerely,

Jeremy Taylor
AKA Reverend Jeremy Taylor, DMin.
Cofounder and Past President of the International Association for the Study of Dreams, (IASD), & Founder-Director of the Marin Institute for Projective Dream Work, (MIPD)

Views: 1

Replies to This Discussion

Hey can you make an event too? purty please with whipped cream and sprinkles?
no

RSS

Network with Us

Bookmark and Share

Support the Peace Alliance...

Spread The Word

Loading…

© 2014   Created by DoPeace Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service