How to Make Peace in Your Communityfrom wikiHow - The How to Manual That You Can Edit
You might think that world peace is impossible, but community peace is possible anywhere, wherever it may be. Peace isn't just for hippies, it's for everybody. If everybody had just got along, many of the wars going on today would have never happened. The Revolutionary War would have still happened, but other wars wouldn't have. Here is how to make peace in your community. It isn't as hard as it sounds.
- Think about the main problem(s) in your community. Is it the annoying household down the street, or the cigarette smoke coming from the next-door smokers? Problems are part of our everyday lives, but these don't have to be:
- Smokers. Yes, the smoke smells awful, and is full of carcinogens which cause cancer, which can kill you. Whenever someone near your home comes out to smoke, just close the window. Carcinogens don't need to be a part of your life. If you ignore it by closing the window, nobody is doing harm to anybody (except the smokers, who are harming themselves).
- Noisy next-door neighbors. Noise is quite annoying when it isn't coming from your household, but next-door neighbors can be noisy sometimes. If they make an excess amount of noise at night, just calmly walk over to their house and politely ask them to try to keep the noise level to a minimum. This should make your noisy next-door neighbors your friends instead of your enemies.
- Domestic violence near or in your household. Not only is domestic violence illegal, but it can influence bad (or illegal) behavior in children if it is exposed to them. Domestic violence is the use of weapons or hands to potentially hurt someone. If it happens in your house, call the police immediately (911 in North America, 999 in the UK). Domestic violence isn't to be taken lightly, by anybody. Ever.
- Make signs. Make them say things like, "Peaceful area. No violence" or "Caution: Lots of peace in this community". Anything that goes against violence will do. Put them in places where people will see them. This will help with the peace level in your community.
- Bright colors will be noticed more because they are unusual. Remember bright colors, but not too bright, or it will be more of eyesore than a peace-making device.
- Have community potlucks. They will get people to associate and communicate with everyone else. If you get people to do that, you're well on your way to a peaceful community. To invite people, get lots of paper and make invitations.
- Have community parties. Parties also help people associate and communicate with one another. Whatever the location, people will come! If you have it at a clubhouse, you may have to pay a hefty rental payment before you can have a party there, and you might have to clean up after it, too. It is best to just have it at your house.
- Smile. When you smile, it brightens up everybody's day, including yours. If you don't smile, you're not trying to make peace.
- Try to be friends (not foes) with your neighbors. If they do something that makes it difficult for peace to be in the community, talk it out with them. Talking with people is better than assuming the worst about them. Remember: Think it out, talk it out, work it out.
- Old foes can easily turn into friends, when you bury the hatchet with them.
- Potlucks should not have dishes that contain peanuts or seafood. You never know what people are allergic to (food-wise)!
- Don't try too hard with this; trying too hard will result in failure.
Article provided by wikiHow, a wiki how-to manual. Please edit this article and find author credits at the original wikiHow article on How to Make Peace in Your Community. All content on wikiHow can be shared under a Creative Commons license.